AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need help with surface & subsurface drainage on hillside and field
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

birddog123
Posted 5/7/2021 15:10 (#8992419)
Subject: Need help with surface & subsurface drainage on hillside and field

Hey everyone, i've been searching far and wide and I feel as if this is the place i will get close to the answers I need. I purchased a piece of land which has a field, field was wet, we didn't know why, we learned its because of maybe some natural runoff, but its currently the victim of 5 state swales diverting runoff onto our property. Long story short there nothing the state will do, so it's my problem to fix which i'm ok with doing.

As i've mentioned i've been doing my best to comprehend what is happening and how to fix it. From my current understanding, I believe i am dealing with two problems, first is the surface water - that is the actively flowing water that gets dumped onto the property. The second issue would be the sub surface water. I'm not sure if i have a lot of subsurface water due to springs or due to the drainage.

My best "plan" which i've come up with on my own is to use trenches and culverts to control and divert the surface water where i want. The second step seems to be that i need to deal with the subsurface water, which from what i read mostly on here can be done with field tile.

The reason I am posting is because i know there are people on here very experienced in this, and to make things trickier my field has slight slopes and then flatter fields. I have a diagram i want to share. I'd love to know what solutions you all would recommend, and I'd also love to know what drain tile patterns you recommend.

The FANTASTIC news is that all this water does naturally collect and then flow along my treeline, which ultimately goes into a creek. Its just my field/meadow is also acting like a sponge and i want to make it all dry and usable.

I've attached a diagram i put together to the best of my abilities.

I'll explain it a bit.

- at the bottom you can se the road, and runoff. This runoff goes under the road and into the "storm swales". The storm swales go through my neighbors properties and end up on my field.
- My field is made up of mounds, gentle sloping hillside, and almost flat areas
- the treeline is naturally where all the water essentially gets dammed, and then flows into the creek
- as you can see theres a lot of pitches and slopes to the area
- the creek bed in the middle is natural erosion from this water, it's between pine trees.
- anything with circles are trees
- i tried my best to guestimate the pitches of the field and hillier areas

My main questions are:
1. How would you personally tackle the problem?
2. How would i map out field tile here, especially w/ the hills.
3. If i just wanted to drain the flat field in the top right of the diagram, could i just lay field tile in that field and not worry about the hill?

Edited by birddog123 5/7/2021 15:22

(landdiagram2-min (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments landdiagram2-min (full).jpg (148KB - 87 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)