AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

They want to put a feeding tube in.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

farmer82
Posted 9/22/2020 22:02 (#8510361)
Subject: They want to put a feeding tube in.

S.E. Iowa
I look after a elderly man as he has no family. I have been doing this for over 10 years. Nothing major but taking him to appointments, mowing his grass occasionally, riding in the combine and involving him in family activities. Last year he asked me if I would be his medical POA. I said yes and now he is getting bad after a fall at home. He has been in the hospital, then nursing home, and now back in the hospital. He has a living will which states no drastic measures. Yesterday the doctor called me giving me updates and said that the time has come that a feeding tube would be necessary while they try to get his blood balanced out. I called a mutual friend who is a retired pastor. He said by all means do it. I didn't know until tonight that the feeding tube usually winds up being permanent. My friend has been mostly coherent with bouts of psychosis perhaps due to the steroids. He said to the nurse that was what he wanted but it was up to me if I thought it was right. He is difficult to understand because he has a partial on his upper teeth that won't stay in and causes his speech to be slurred. That coupled with being so weak makes it even harder. With the protocols of covid I can't be with him until an hour before surgery tomorrow. I am so second guessing myself. This is the most difficult thing I have ever been involved with. I am honored to be thought of this way by him but I just don't know. My mom who is his age (89) and a retired nurse said don't EVER do that to her. Again I just don't know......
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)