AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

All Liquid P at Planting - Anyone doing it?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

OH Mike
Posted 3/18/2020 19:29 (#8116991)
Subject: All Liquid P at Planting - Anyone doing it?

NW Oh
Is there anyone putting all there P down as Liquid at the corn planter? Been doing some reading and what I'm finding is that once P is in the ground it doesnt move more than 1". Which means the roots have to go to it. Also understanding that dry P isnt plant usable right away which is why we always spread in the fall for corn. So currently we put down about 130 bs of 11-52-0. So thats 68 lbs of P which typically would be for 1 year of corn (170 bpa) and 2 years of beans (56 bpa). For simple math lets say corn roots spread 10" and on 30" rows so roots cover 1/3 of the field. So of the broadcast spreading corn only has access to 22 lbs of the P. We can make the assumption that the beans consume the other 44 lbs til the next corn rotation.

We put pop up on the seed at 5 gpa of 3-18-18 which is seed safe formulation. In terms of 3-18-18 that 22 lbs of P coorelates to 11 gpa of P which is usable by the plant. Is there any reason we cant do 11 gpa of 3-18-18 on the side or split it to both sides of the row maybe 2x2 or 3x3 at planting? Then we're putting the P where its needed when its instead of 7 months before. (I didnt compare costs yet).

Some crude math but shoot holes thru my theory.

Thx

Edited by OH Mike 3/19/2020 11:58
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)