AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

All Liquid P at Planting - Anyone doing it?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

GOOSEPILOT
Posted 3/19/2020 07:33 (#8118132 - in reply to #8116991)
Subject: RE: All Liquid P at Planting - Anyone doing it?

WC Mn/Dakotas
I'm not a fan of applying multiple years worth of fert unless it's alfalfa. If its plant available to the corn, the corn will use whatever it wants, then beans will have to scavage. Corn is actually a better scavenger than beans if your going to force something to scavenge. P is very reactive, it may not be available when the next crops want it or at the quantity/rate it needs. Depends on your ph, free lime, o.m., cec, calcium, soil test p.

Do you plant beans with the same planter? If so you could apply every year for each crop vs your current bcast multiple years. Banded and placed properly, you often can reduce rates.

It's about being plant available, not about total you apply. You won't have 100% of applied P plant available even if 100% of roots were there. Thinking the soil is like a bank and you can use it all later is not reality, especially for P. There is some factor in there of use it or it becomes unavailable (more so in certain situations than others). Too much front loading could hurt that first crop in some cases too (total salt load).

Here P isnt going to move more than 1/8-1/4" per year on its own. I want my P a minimum if 2" deep and greatly prefer at least 5-6" (most root mass and more likely to be in moisture at peak uptake time) in a band directly below or within 4" laterally of seed (depending on depth). I also like mutiple placement. I want some in furrow for guaranteed early source if soil is below 65 degrees. Then you could have some in a true 2x0 or 2x2 (4" deep) for that v3-v5 period. Then a majority if your P 5-7" deep
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)