AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Can a hydraulic cylinder be used as an accumulator
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

marktheblaster
Posted 5/23/2019 01:16 (#7514421)
Subject: Can a hydraulic cylinder be used as an accumulator

I need an accumulator with a 1-2 gl. capacity. I'm not interested in an accumulator that needs rebuilding unless parts are readily available.If the accumulator you have for sale fits my bill ,contact me with the details.I'll send my email if so.The drill is for mineral exploration.I bought most of the necessary components, but not the feed or plumbing. Lots of ideas for controlling the fairly critically metered down pressure.One idea is to make a weight basket on top of the " accumulator" cylinder which I could add about 300 lbs. of rocks to and remove 16 lbs. each time I add a rod , Like the Flintstones or something.Really high tech.The penetration rate is calculated as 3-4 inches per min..The up/down stroke is 30 " before rechucking to grab another bite on the core rod.I'd like to be able to maybe pick my nose or something important rather than bumping the valve every 3 seconds to maintain the constant pressure regulation.It shouldn't be Avery high pressure with a 2 1/2 " cylinder.Any other core drillers out there with any ideas?On the flip side, if I exceed the 500 lbs.by adding over the 500 lbs. of static weight ,I then need to start providing minor up lift just as delicately.The manufacturer states weight on bit at 500-700 lbs so there is a little wiggle room.It is easy to polish or over drive the bit, causing premature failure, at 300.00 Smackers a piece ,I want to get it right.You guys have been a big help with some clever ideas,Thanks! I wondered about cutting the rod off and also considered the internal seal getting cocked side ways thereby locking up in the barrel. Maybe 2 rod end seals bolted/sealed firmly together for alignment purposes.I don't mean to reinvent the wheel which is ultimately,can a hydraulic cylinder be used as an accumulator ?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)