AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pole Barn and CCA Post Questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Granary
Posted 3/19/2019 16:57 (#7389393)
Subject: Pole Barn and CCA Post Questions

Central Western VA Mountains
Getting ready to order materials for our new pole barn and have a few questions - looking for some sage info/advice.

We are using 6x6 posts and are allowed to use CCA treated posts for farm buildings - two different suppliers have quoted .60 CCA and for about $5 more per post .80 CCA. These are going in the ground. For those of you using CCA treated posts, did you go with .60 or something else?

This barn will be 32ft wide x 72 ft long. It will have a clear 20ft wide opening on each end such that kicker hay wagons (8 ft wide) can be pulled in down the length, side by side if necessary and unloaded - out of the weather. This 20 ft opening on each end (centered), does that cause you any concern with wind damage? There will be no doors - for now. I’ll have 2 metal gates closing each end entry.

Overhang on the trusses will be 2ft per side. There will be no gutters and I want the roof-off as far away from the treated posts as practical. Anyone have 2 inch overhangs on their barn roof?

We will not have a concrete or asphalt floor. Maybe someday, not now. What kind of gravel/moisture barrier would you recommend?

While I’d like to go larger, higher, etc., this is the barn that meets our square baling storage needs and pencils out.

Any sage advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)