AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

7100 Planter questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

warrior-p
Posted 2/13/2019 11:20 (#7318106)
Subject: 7100 Planter questions

Wardview, LA
I am looking at planting corn this year. I am very good and knowledable on my JD750 drill but am learning about planters. I am leaning towards a JD7100 older style to support the small acreage I will start with this year on corn - 83-226 acres pending weather. I have located two planters in my area (one a 6 row plate planter (rough) & the other appears meter planter (meters on side of planter box with no vaccumm)) but am still keeping all of my options open. I want a 8 row to get up and down my roads (I don't think a 12 row will make it without fold). The corn planting will be disked twice, floated and bedded on either 60 or 72" beds (two rows of corn either 30" or 36" apart). However, If I could no-till into last years beds of standing beans, it would be a plus (my drill can do it perfectly with beans but I was scared torisk it on corn)). My vision of this setup is to have some yetter row cleaners, no till coulter, 3.5mm blades, heavy down pressure springs, Thompson closing wheel on one side with rubber on the other, drag chain, with Keaton seed firmer. My soil type is primarily heavy red clay (gumbo). So as I look at these planters and all of the options, here are my questions:

1) Will the no till coulters work well for no till? there seems to be varying opinions on it whether you should run them or not
2) If you add the increased down pressure kit and 3.5mm blades, do you need the coulters?
3) Do some people use the row cleaners to lightly move soil versus the coulters ?
4) insecticide boxes - are these for when the seed is not treated with an insecticide treatment?
5) popup fertilizer - what pump and valve system do you need to run this down the seed firmers?
6) fertilizer on the rear -I have seen several planters with a y configuration and two hoses running down the rear & I assume are placing initial fertilizer down while planting. How is this done? what do you need and how much do you put out?
7) finger pickups - It is my impression that the finger pickups mount to the bottom of the seed box and do NOT use vaccumm to plant corn with.

Any other words of advice
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)