AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Feeding / Grinding Cornstalks?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

17821x
Posted 1/1/2019 18:59 (#7213188)
Subject: Feeding / Grinding Cornstalks?

NE Iowa
I am worried about running out of hay and hay auction prices are crazy high. I have a bunch of cornstalks that are baled without rain and stored inside that are as nice as I have ever baled. When I put them in a bale ring the cows leave the hay ring and root around in the stalks and eat maybe 25% right away. But then they don't touch them and the center of the bale is completely untouched. I probably just need to let the hay feeder run empty longer but "starving" them into eating something they don't want is not one of my strengths. Have a good neighbor a 1/4 mile away that bought a Roto-Grind 760 bale grinder. If I had them grind some bales for me would the cows likely eat the stalks better? My hay is all stored inside also so don't feel like I need to grind it but would I need to grind 50/50 hay and stalks to get them to eat them? Or since corn is as cheap per ton as hay could I grind stalks and sprinkle shell corn on top to entice them to eat them? Also, what is a fair price to pay for grinding small 4'x5' bales of super dry cornstalks? $5 a bale would be about $15 per ton?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)