AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

2018 herbicide program
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

NEILFarmer
Posted 12/12/2017 11:31 (#6423843)
Subject: 2018 herbicide program

Morris, IL
So thinking ahead to 2018 herbicide plan have few questions. Heavy black dirt here all strip till/no-till, silty clay loam soils like Brenton and Drummer. Also farm some Bryce and Swygert we call gumbo soil. OM all over 3, CEC all over 20, PH 6-6.5.

Last year used 4oz Fierce XLT pre on beans with 1/2lb. 24D and some RU had great luck. I sprayed this anywhere from month to less then a week ahead of planter but got a rain before planter in all situations. Really had good luck most fields i sprayed 32oz RU seemed like for fun of it, nothing out there but some grass and some odd weeds haven't seen in long time. Very few waterhemp and mare's tail and what few there were i pulled most by hand. Sprayed the pre between 5/1 and 5/15 planted 5/15-5/25. Was spraying post about July 4th. Yes that is correct July 4 waited almost 2 months. No way i want to wait that long this year and i'd like to add a residual follow behind planter 3-4 weeks but i'm not sure what to use? These are 30" beans, i have hard time getting full canopy as is i don't want to set them back 2 weeks because they are brown for week or more.

Corn have been using Volley ATZ pre along with 1oz sharpen and some RU. Never been impressed with the sharpen for the cost compared to what 24D would do but been burnt to many times with 24d pre. I do use MSO, 20 gallon water, and twin tips. I sprayed this right behind planter, sometimes same day sometimes week or two seems i'm always worried about spraying ahead of a big rain getting carried down to seed and yet i'm one big rain away from not getting pre on, it's happened. Guy has been telling me just run verdict and be done with it and i'm starting to think he's right. So i guess i'm wondering if i switch to verdict/MSO/RU/AMS do i need to be worried about spraying ahead of heavy cold rain? Will the 2-3oz of sharpen in verdict help with kill?

Post on corn friend said look at Callisto Extra at 20oz an acre. Wonder what everything thinks of that? This would be after a sidedress NH3 pass if it matters? I would be pushing the label on 12" with ATZ or what ever that one is not sure how critical that is?

Thanks everyone, any and all ideas will be helpful.

Edited by NEILFarmer 12/12/2017 11:33
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)