AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cover Crop Before Corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

PCFarm
Posted 9/23/2017 18:29 (#6265819)
Subject: Cover Crop Before Corn

On the farm we are getting more and more aggressive with cover crops as we learn to more about them, but we have kept it simple just cereal rye seeded in the fall after harvest. For corn we terminate early and beans we terminate after planting.

For beans it is fairly simple in my mind just plant about 50# of cereal rye per acre.

I always hear there can be a yield drag from cereal rye in corn- C:N ratio and aleopathic (sp?) effect. We try to work around this by applying N at planting and wait 10 days to plant after termination. My options are limited due to time of seeding- usually mid October to 1st of November. It looks like it is recommended a legume or brassica. Vetch and clover- seem to be most common. What about triticale? Any issues at termination? I would be interested in what some are running for mix and seed rate per acre. We have a Valmar unit on a smart till tool. We had good luck last year establishing a good stand of rye.

By the way the cereal rye did a excellent job this year in suppressing waterhemp. We planted green in beans, the one item I want to update is to add a roller on the front of the planter. Where sprayer tires laid down the rye, the beans emerged faster and more solid it seemed.

Thanks for all the input- it is a learning process.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)