AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Do farmers have a bad attitude?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

nks
Posted 5/16/2014 17:22 (#3873945)
Subject: Do farmers have a bad attitude?

NW KS
I was reading another forum (unrelated to ag) and a discussion was going about the ongoing drought conditions in KS/OK/TX. One poster that grew up on a central KS farm, but had relocated to an urban area, asked what is the point of trying? With the ongoing drought and the aquifer depleting, what is the future? It obviously sparked a lively discussion about management practices, quality of life etc. Anyway, one response, from a poster who said he has farmed his entire life, said something along the lines of farmers work less and complain more than any profession he knows.

This set me to thinking, is this true? We don't farm big, but we got all our corn planted, fertilized, and sprayed in a couple week window (obviously the weather cooperated). Most work I really had to do was sling some bags of corn around, operate a grease gun, turn around at the end of the rows, and get out every so often to look things over and make sure I didn't fall asleep. We have cows, calving can be some long stressful hours, fixing fence isn't the most fun, moving them can be a challenge, but it doesn't seem that bad to me. I have a pretty close to full time off farm job as well. Obviously this depends on the types of crops grown, age/condition of machinery, how much mechanic work you do, etc, but it seems to me like some people kind of cling to the "work hard for no money" mantra that came about back when manual labor is all they knew. Obviously it is stressful at times, but no business owner anywhere is without stress much of the time. Not trying to start a war on this, just my uneducated observation and wondered what others thought.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)