AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

my thought on celulose ethanol.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

deereman
Posted 1/12/2008 14:06 (#281600)
Subject: my thought on celulose ethanol.

NE SD
I guess I have to agree with post down below even though I still think this corn can not hold these values. This "other" form of energy from corn stalks or whatever is a long ways out yet. It is almost all talk yet. I'd say minimum 5 yrs away to make any significant difference.
1. There is not a plant even going yet.
2. Its very inefficient yet.
3. Farmers have no idea yet how even process this corn stover efficiently.
4. Equipment companys would be way behind making iron if it ever took off. (balers, trailers, loaders, rakes, sheds to store it,
5. I don't think people realize the actual volume of product (bales) it takes to feed a plant even 1 day let alone a yr.
6. Most farmers are not going to have the time at least around here in NE SD to combine, chop the stalks, rake, bale them up haul them home, fertlize and then work the ground. Just imagine a 1000 acre farmer with 500 acres corn and he bales all of them. Most who do bale now for livestock get 3-4 bales/ac. This would be 1500-2000bales. There is very few grain farmers that are even close to being set up to handle this before the snow flies. I just can never see it possible in the upper midwest for a long time. Maybe other areas are different.
Switchgrass may be somewhat different but still think that to would be produced somewhere other than here. We have lots of corn ethanol plants. I suppose they could be switched over to celulose but I'd bet not very easy.

Just my opinions on this cellulose so far. I'd bet it's corn ethanol here for a long time yet.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)