AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

BSE, the dairy industry, and the media
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

DRYLAND
Posted 4/26/2012 01:04 (#2354268)
Subject: BSE, the dairy industry, and the media

Northern NE Panhandle
First off I would like to apologize to good dairy farmers that do not cut corners feeding animal byproducts. Yesterday brought back alot of emotions that I felt several years ago. As a cow/calf producer with 250 head of mama cows I am on the medium to smaller size of operations here. I also farm about 2000 ac of corn, wheat, sunflowers, and alfalfa. I third of that is irrigated. A substantial part of our yearly income comes from cull cows and bulls that we sell and then invest into replacements whether bought or retained. And the replacements are fed a blend of our own hay, silage, and to the heifers a protein pellet that we purchase locally. Just when calf prices get up to the level that a guy is making some money another dairy cow shows up with BSE, wasn't in the food chain but EVERY SINGLE COW THAT HAS IS OF US ORIGIN HAS BEEN A DAIRY COW. The first cow was blackish dairy type and was imported from CANADA. Getting off that rant I know this latest cow was said to have a variant strain that is naturally occuring, I don't dispute this fact when seeing the same thing with scrapies in sheep and chronic wasting disease in wild deer and elk herds. The thing I don't understand is that what little that I know about the dairy industry is that they do not keep cows in production near as long as beef producers do but they have 100% of the BSE cases in this country. I can whole heartedly assure you that as much as ranchers would want to squash this that "shoot, shovel, and shutup" is not happening in beef country. Personally I think this whole BSE deal as a whole is complete BS and the media grabs it to create a story. HOWEVER it always seems like the BEEF producers are left holding the bag when the DAIRY industry effs us again. It would be refreshing to see one of your leaders try to take some sort of acknowledgement for the turmoil you've caused in the last 10 years. Had to get this off my chest and I hope this blows over quick but you as the Dairy industry need to figure some **** out.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)