AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

LP hot water misbehaving
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Fingers77
Posted 12/3/2022 16:03 (#9963412)
Subject: LP hot water misbehaving

We have an LP fired hot water heater in our shop for floor heat.

Since day one it has never heated well, the water gets lukewarm at best. It's a 50 gallon Bradford White power vent with electronic ignition.

From day one it has not had what you would call a robust flame. The ends of the flame are always yellow.

It has always seemed to have very little gas pressure or flow based on how the flame looks. I checked the pressure of the LP coming in and it is just a little high, but only by one or so inches of water.

This year the flame is even lazier.

The vent is per the book. It's not even 3 feet long. It comes out of the heater with 2" PVC, makes an elbow, goes through the wall about 2', then elbows down about 4". It's on the west wall of the building (the prevailing wind side).

The link below is what the flame looks like this year. With the window inspection cover off it will stay running, but obviously there is something wrong. I tried running a small fan across the opening to add some extra air inside but of it's pointed too much towards the hole, the flame dies.

The inside of the flame chamber IS sooty from the years of poor flame performance.

With the inspection cover back on, the flame dies. I get various error codes, depending on what the thermostat feels like telling me.

I always clean the burner orifices every year and just vacuumed (and back blew through with compressed air) the bottom of the flame chamber perforations, I am assuming that is where fresh combustion air is brought in from.

If I unhook the vent pipe and let it vent vertically into the shop, the flame is a little better, but not a whole lot.

I have always thought it's an install issue or now an install issue and other issue, I am just at my wits end trying to figure out what's wrong.

Ideas??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3mxCpUQ4do

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)