AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How do you decide when to put a dog down?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Mark in WCIowa
Posted 10/6/2021 23:31 (#9256597)
Subject: How do you decide when to put a dog down?

Scranton
I've got a rotweiller/mutt dog that is now about 15 years old. He was a great great dog...always ran like a fool, all day long. Would come get petted then go lay down, not bother you repeatedly for attention. Kept wild animals at bay around the farm but never barked all night at nothing. Loved to ride in the pickup box, loved to go to the field and would always be there when you were ready to head home.

Great dog.

But his arthritis has gotten the better of him. He sleeps most of the day. Still has a healthy appetite, but can't walk past the front of the house to do his dooty. He just looks sad and in some discomfort all the time anymore. He'll go in the garage on extremely hot or cold days, but prefers to just be outside otherwise.

I don't really have the heart to put him down...can't decide if it'd be doing him a favor or not. Does a guy let nature take its course and just treat him humanely in his older years or make the choice for him? I'm not in a hurry to replace him or anything. Not sure I could...
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)