AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

family farms where only a couple members farm?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Montgomeryj1
Posted 5/1/2014 07:15 (#3847613)
Subject: family farms where only a couple members farm?

North West Ohio
As I'm sure every family has their own story or situation, some are easier than others. Our situation is kinda bad but I won't bore anyone with too many details. We are currently on the 3rd loan for the ground my great grandpa bought way back when. When he passed away he left it to my grandpa but the will was disputed and he ended up buying his bothers out. My dad and his 2 brothers farmed with my grandpa until they graduated high school then my uncles slowly stopped. It got to the point when I started helping around the age of 8 we would see them maybe 3 times a year to help. That was only if they were called and asked to come drive a tractor or grain truck, etc. When it was obvious my grandpa wasn't in the best of health, my uncles and aunt were the first to make sure the farm was to be taken care of. Meaning they wanted it put in everyone's name. Is that right? My dad never got paid. Grandpa let him use the machinery for his ground ( about 20% the size of.grandpa's), and paid for most of the fuel. This was several years ago and has since been sold at auction where we bought most of it back, hence the 3rd loan. I know things should be split evenly between children but I just don't know how this could be that cut and dry. When my grandpa was reluctant to sign it over to all the kids, my uncles told him he wouldn't ever see his grandchildren again. So he did. My uncles helped for a year then but so much then back to how it was , so it got ugly and auctioned off. How does it work with a family farm that only part of the family farms?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)