AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sulfur fertilization options?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

17821x
Posted 3/10/2013 16:58 (#2955657)
Subject: Sulfur fertilization options?

NE Iowa
Have used several forms of S over the years. Elemental, AMS, and gypsum. No-till corn bean rotation and extremely high Mg soils (35% base saturation). The price of elemental S is attractive at about $0.30 per pound of S but takes a long time to become available. AMS is pricey ($425/ton) but if you subtract off the value of the N based on price of urea it gets the S down to $0.38 a pound. Pelletized gypsum can be mixed with other dry fertilizer but is pricey at $180 a ton. Gypsoil brand gypsoil has to brought in on a barge and is $65 a ton but would need to be custom spread with lime equipment and they want to apply high rates (1000#+). Last fall I had the idea that spreading 10# of elemental S with the potash and then plan on applying 150# of AMS right before planting would give me a season long supply of S for corn. I also applied 10# of elemental S with potash on ground going to soybeans. I've since done some reading that sulfate is helpful for high Mg soils. So looking ahead to next year I'm trying to decide what would be best:

1) One option would be to use AMS for all my sulfur needs (both corn & bean year) as AMS ahead of corn. At least 300# per acre. The N in AMS is stable and that is helpful because my Nn is just broadcast and not incorporated. I know S can leach so would there be enough left for the following bean crop?

2) Another thought would be to use AMS for all the corn S needs like 200# per acre. Then apply maybe 300-400# of loose gypsum ahead of beans. Application cost per acre is the biggest downfall but loose gypum is the best buy.

3) Apply 1000# of gypsum every other year ahead of probably corn and use no AMS. Gets me the most sulfate for the $.

These 3 options would cost roughly the same. So what do you think gets me the best bang for my buck? Tyring to meet S needs and improve the soil at the same time.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)