AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ribeyes from steer harvested off of grazing corn (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 3/25/2012 15:02 (#2305587)
Subject: Ribeyes from steer harvested off of grazing corn (pics)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Douglas from NC on 3/1 in a post below asked for a picture of the beef from the holdover steer I took in for processing on 2/29. This steer had no significant grain or feed other than hay, mineralyx and grazing standing corn.

My processor hung the carcass for a bit over 2 weeks and I have been travelling so just picked up the beef yesterday morning. Thawed a random package of 2 ribeyes overnight for grilling this afternoon.

This steer comes from some of my target genetics of long, low, and big REA. His sire had a very good Hereford REA EPD and I think it shows up here. I was surprised at the size of these ribeyes.

I am not a good judge of marbling but I think it looks pretty fair. I wonder how these would grade? I also had them cut a bit thicker than the usual 1" I get for my split halves for sale. These are about 1-1/4" thick.

Here is a picture of the steer they come from in the center foreground.  The local butcher that did this one for my family got a puzzled look on his face when I asked if he had made sure to include the pink slime....then a big smile.

FWIW.

Jim at Dawn

edit: I did not get a chance to weigh the finished product but judging from the number of large coolers it took compared to ones I have weighed it looks like about 550 lb trimmed lean like this and almost no bone. LOTS of good hamburger.

Edited by Jim 3/25/2012 15:22

(IMG_0216_Ribeyes_off_of_grazing_corn_steer_6210_032512.JPG)

(IMG_0103_steer going to processing this week 022612.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0216_Ribeyes_off_of_grazing_corn_steer_6210_032512.JPG (84KB - 80 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0103_steer going to processing this week 022612.jpg (59KB - 72 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)