AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fertility
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

dbltfarmer
Posted 12/5/2011 15:19 (#2085822)
Subject: Fertility

Texas
Got a cold snowy day in West Texas with nothing to do except play games on the computer or study aspects of my farming operation. Well, to make myself feel better, I started planning for next year. I just got my soil tests back and have found that my fertility is still way low. I knew this last year but hoped that a previous farmers rotation would help the situation but hasnt. the main problem is phosphorous. Nitrogen is low but that can be corrected a little easier than phosphorous. On this farm I have a 168 acre pivot and 120 acres of drip irrigation. It will be pretty expensive to put out the amount of phosphorous needed.

The phosphorous levels are anywhere from 8 ppm to 21 ppm. I put down two tons of composted manure last year and knew it wasnt enough. With the drought this year, I didnt supplement any more P. Next year I plan on supplementing it heavily and getting into a mode of trying to build the levels each year and try to get to the optimum point by year 4. With that said, i am going to start a rotation on the center pivot. I will water cotton only on one half of the pivot. The other half of the pivot will be planted in wheat and only be watered for emergence or to get foliar growth to graze cattle. The following year, I will plant cotton directly into the wheat stubble and plant the other half of pivot in wheat. I don't have the water to plant the entire pivot in cotton and hoping to enhance the cotton yields. I am only looking at harvesting he wheat on years where it would be profitable to do so. The wheat is a cover crop as well as a soil builder. If we have the moisture and a good wheat crop then we will harvest.

My question is, is their another grain crop or any other crop that will assist in increasing the phosphorous levels? Do any crops have a significant impact on phosphorous availability to the plants?? I am wanting to build the phosphorous as quickly as possible while staying within my budget and cultural practices. Any other thoughts??
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)