AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

? for Josh A about silage bales
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

NWOHyoungfarmer
Posted 10/20/2006 09:03 (#53659 - in reply to #53463)
Subject: RE: ? for Josh A about silage bales

Northwest Ohio
A couple of things that cause problems with in line wrapping is that the bales will spoil when you open a row up if they arnt kept air tight. I would only be selling 20 or so at a time. Then from what I was told you need to feed once you opend a row within 4 days. I know that our customers would have to do a little changing but the smaller dariys in our area that we talked to have loved it. Packing piles and storing silage in bunkers are great if its done right. I work on a 700 cow dariy myself and It takes us 2 to 3 times as long to pack then others. Anyone can just push silage up and run over it once but ask any nutritionist what that spoiled hay will do to milk production.

We do some custom cutting for a couple other dairys and they love it cause we are set up to pack. Just a 2wd tractor like some of these guys are using just wont cut it. We have noticed a recent problem in our area, alot of halage is going up but there isnt a dairy around that can pack a pile right. They get into spoilage problems, and if you have that spolied feed your cows wont eat it, futher more produce milk. If they can buy silage bales that have a tested RFV, they know what they are feeding and can focus on proper nutrition for more pounds of milk.

I know that it will cost more but if you can say we need some halage that has a RFV of 200 and it will be there all the time insted of all the other varibles that come along with the pile when not properly packed. I plan on still making dry hay for 2-3 cuts. If you use steroids to help achevive higher milk production then this is a waste of money, but if you dont and you see and play the nutritional game to produce better milk I think this is a good way to go.

Our weather patterns have changed in Ohio every year it gets harder and harder to make dry hay on all cuts. I would love to be able to use this in my operation, first for a back up, 1st cutting, and also so great frost hay in the fall. I am looking at a Anderson single bale wrapper and a hesston baler. Let me know what your thoughts are, sorry it was so long. Maybe I am full of s**t I think it makes a sense but am a little worried if the buyers will establish a market.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)