AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

? for Josh A about silage bales
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

JoshA
Posted 10/19/2006 17:20 (#53425 - in reply to #53376)
Subject: RE: ? for Josh A about silage bales

Alberta, Canada
I'm located in central Alberta (Canada).

We like it. We've done it for about 5 years, 2 years with a custom wrapper, then 1 year where a different guy did everything, with a bagger. We just hauled it home by-weekly over the winter. His machine was much better, and we bought our own. We've been doing it ourselves since. Bales have to be the easiest, and least expensive form of silage. Remember that if you're buying a machine, bags are much better than wrap.

For small scale operations like ourselves, it's perfect, however for anyone with deep enough pockets, loose silage in concrete bunks, loading with a payloader, feeding with a TMR into concrete fenceline feeders, is in my opinion, ideal. If we could be sure we'd be farming 5 years down the road, that's where I'd go to, but it's a giant investment for only 3 more years, it'd totally alter our whole set-up.

That's what I'm concerned about for your plan... how big are your customers going to be? Because most dairies use loose silage, not baled. Same with beef operations, depending on the size. Other than the Hesston baler (nice choice btw), what will you be using for equipment?

Since I'm on a different computer, and on 22.7k dial-up right now, here's a link to some pictures I put on another forum.
http://www.toytractortimes.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?p=125946&...

This is the make of our bagger, they have a unit that handles both rounds and large squares(as well as dedicated machines).
http://www.pronovost.qc.ca/sila.html

Thanks for your interest, and let me know if you'd like me to go into anything in particular.
-Josh
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)