AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

? for Josh A about silage bales
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Scott (OSU)
Posted 10/19/2006 19:04 (#53463 - in reply to #53425)
Subject: RE: ? for Josh A about silage bales

Dalton, OH
Just a couple things I do and have learned in this business. Most of the hay I wrap is from 25%-40% mositure. True silage bales would be from 45%+ on moisture. A bagger will work fine on the higher mositure bales and will be a cheaper alternative. I individually wrap 3x3x6 foot bales with a McHale 998 wrapper. It wraps about 1 bale every 30-40 seconds depending on layers of plastic. My wrapper can wrap in the field or stationary. One person with a skidsteer can easily keep up with the wrapper when it is stationary and in my operation this is a far more efficient way of doing things because we pick the bales up with a stack truck in the field.. I can wrap down to dry hay and it will not have any mold in it. If you try this with a bagger, you will get some mold, especially on the outsides of bales. I sell 99% of my hay and can't afford any mold and need the convenience of moving them a few times without having to feed them right away. No matter what your preference is on storage, make sure you make a tight, square bale as this will keep the air pockets out of the hay. In this part of the country, "sweet hay", the name we give to hay wrapped under 40% moisture, is many times substituted for dry hay and it works better. Just my thoughts and experiences. Any questions just post them. I wrap about 3,000 square bales a year here in Ohio and also dry bale another 3-4,000.

Scott (OSU)

Edited by Scott (OSU) 10/19/2006 19:07
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)