AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Picking corn by hand......
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

IADAVE
Posted 2/22/2019 20:19 (#7337792 - in reply to #7337729)
Subject: RE: Measurement

Grandpa hadn't farmed since the early 50s. When he saw the corn Dad raised in the 80's he thought it was terrible. The ears were 1/2 size. When we explained it would yield because we had 4 x the population he had, his comment was he would hate to pick it as it would take forever to get a load of those small ears. So I take it variety of the corn made a big difference in how much got picked. He also said a good man could get 100 bu a day, 2 wagons . Poor corn would be less or corn that husked hard would be less.
Grandpa said he selected ears that were big and on tall plants for seed. I would guess where he came from 40 bu would have been pretty good.
We helped a neighbor that wanted to plant corn one year on his acreage. 2 1/2 acres of corn and Dad, brother and I, plus him killed most of a weekend. He finally let us finish with our picker, Although I still got to scoop it into the crib.
It wasn't real bad until it started getting full and if I didn't get it thrown clear into the back it would come back out at me. Even then some did.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)