AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Army Basic Training 1963
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Hackel
Posted 11/12/2018 09:53 (#7100934 - in reply to #7100422)
Subject: RE: Army Basic Training 1963

SENE
That brings back memories ,except 1957 , Left Nebraska City and trained to Jeff City ,Then bus to Newburg ,Mo. and a train backed us into Wood. I was used to corn shelling and Haying before (it helped) Yes reception center was Hell and they tried very hard to make it that way . The Sgt. with his white gloves found some dirt in the rafters (that he put there) Went to B-2-3 and was lucky to be chosen squad leader . Spent a lot of extra time helping my squad. Was chosen the best on the guard mount and spent the next day with Col. Parris (nice guy). Made the Infiltration course in the day time and then came down with Flu and all had to get shots and put blankets on the side of our bunks . Enjoyed the marching and singing ,sure made things go faster. For the second 8 went to Mechanic school on the South end of Wood . My MOS stuck from home unit and really enjoyed playing with engine's . The third 8 went to post Eng. and worked in Bridge parts (winter time) and spent most days inside and putting model bridges together. Those Mississippi River Crooks (you said were a good cigar)
Spent the next 5 1/2 years with summer camps in Wood or Camp Carson Co. Very glad I served my time and would be VERY hard to do again. Thanks , Glen
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)