AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

concrete lags coming loose
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Sodbustr
Posted 8/22/2018 15:32 (#6943931 - in reply to #6943663)
Subject: RE: concrete lags coming loose

Western Iowa
While having my afternoon soda I went to Hilti's website to look for documentation for not using an impact, and they even sell a Hilti brand cordless impact and have a picture of a guy tightening cement anchors with one, so what do I know...………… LOL

Maybe standards have changed, IDK, some of this stuff I learned 25 years ago or better and things change, but I don't always keep up. I still stand by my statement to not using a impact gun to tighten concrete anchors, I have personally never had them hold, but it must not be an industry standard thought like I thought it was.

I got in a pissing match with one of my guys back when I worked in town and we were bolting a jib crane down. The nearby work station had a impact gun (air) and he was using it to tighten the anchors. With my previous experience using a gun, I always had the anchors come loose over time, so I quit doing it. He was adamite on using the gun. I put an anchor in with a wrench, then took his gun and spun every bolt he had installed out with the impact simply by hammering on them for a few seconds. They pulled right up thru the concrete. Then I had him try to break off the anchor bolt I put in without an impact. A 4ft cheater pipe and he couldn't do it. I had to move the jib crane over a good foot from where it was supposed to go, but I finally got thru to him.

After looking at this thread again, I would add that your anchor in the picture is none too long. A little longer anchor sure wouldn't hurt.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)