AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dairyman and Dairymanswife
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

hinfarm
Posted 6/6/2018 09:50 (#6797503 - in reply to #6797457)
Subject: RE: Dairyman and Dairymanswife

Amherst WI
That's a slippery slope too.

I shop around a lot too, but sometimes wonder if the end game is better.

Here's a few examples...

A new to the area agronomy retailer here had super cheap pricing. They were $40-50 a ton less than most of the competition. They had tin shed chemical pricing and cheap application. Great we all thought. Well half way through June last year they fired all their sales people and applicators leaving their customer high and dry who were counting on the custom application. They kept three employees and were going to run it like a tin shed chemical place. Now they are going to totally close the place up July 1. They were so cheap they didn't cover costs and now that option is gone.

The hay market has been very good and very bad for me. When supplies where tight we made decent money, when hay got to be plentiful it was a terrible loser that we would do a lot of hard work all summer long while watching our neighbors wave at us as they went to the lake with the boat or camper headed to the campground.

I had one main hay buyer left. I was making decent margins on it for a few years, not obscene but worth doing it. Then she chiseled on me because the hay auctions were at X price a year ago, basically nearly half of what I was getting. There I sat with a shed full of hay that I pay rent on, it couldn't stay in there forever so I sold it for a cheap price just to get rid of it. As the hay fields came time to rotate I killed them off and didn't replace them. I told her the other day she'd have to find another hay provider or go back to where we were a few years ago. I don't think she wants to pay the new price but doesn't sound like she wants to leave either.

Moral of the story is don't eat the golden goose or you'll be hungry later.

Good luck to Dairyman78 and his family in their future.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)