AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Neighbor Kids Want Jobs
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Hereford Guy
Posted 5/14/2018 20:42 (#6760639 - in reply to #6760104)
Subject: RE: Neighbor Kids Want Jobs

ahay68979 - 5/14/2018 00:59

I guess I'm odd man out here. I never (over) surprivised kids that used to help in summers. You can put anyone on a lawn mower, if you checked out and gas before they got on it's not hard. Same with weedeating give them a few min talk on what you expect. Same with spraying with 4 wheeler. Heck several of them I opened up field on SP swather for them ride one round with them and turn em loose. Only one way to learn imo.

Lots of people over complicate things because it's not perfect, kids will never get it perfect even if your there watching like a hawk. Cell phone and business band radio can answer lots of questions.
But I'm easy going as long as it's a good job I'm not fussy how it gets done. I grew up with a dad it's my way or highway attitude and meticulous perfectionist. I learned a long time ago is way more to life then being over anal.

Kids gotta learn. When I started with neighbors when a kid I was kinda taught the way I do it. One guy told me nothing I hated worse then dad riding with me all day trying to get it perfect. He says it made me more nervous then just trying it myself. I've learned that also.

Edit.
I'm not saying that's what your doing but read on here all time where hired man isn't good nuff etc. Kids gotta get a break sometimes it how do they learn if not from a family that'll teach them.
I only ever let one go after 1 week . Rest I always got along for summer at least.

I guess I'm the oddball here with you, Paul. We both weren't able to have Dad or Grandpa teach us as much as we might have wished for various reasons. Somebody had to be willing to teach us. I know I started out by forking out calf pens and sheep sheds for the old man that gave me my first real experiences. Load the spreader by hand and take a break while someone else spread the load. Came time to start haying and it moved to; "You know how to drive a tractor and run a hay rake? No? It's time to learn. Get on."
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)