AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I think pork tastes better than it did ten-fifteen years ago.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

starvation
Posted 3/17/2018 19:57 (#6648005 - in reply to #6647866)
Subject: RE: I think pork tastes better than it did ten-fifteen years ago.

mn
Kooiker - 3/17/2018 18:53

Abomb - 3/17/2018 11:38   Just that the facility it is raised in is probably the smallest factor in the meat quality.

Its not just the smallest factor, its a NON factor.

Its no different than saying beef from cattle finished in mono slope confinement doesn't taste as good as beef from cattle finished in an open concrete lot.   If they taste different its because of other factors, not because of the mono slope.

The biggest difference between pork from the locker or pork from the store is just that, processed at the locker vs at a packing plant and packaged for a store.

We take some pigs out of our finishing buildings to the local locker, the same pigs that normally go to one of the major packing companies, guess what, the pork from the locker tastes much better than the stuff at the grocery store.   

Our pigs are the same type of pig, eating the same type of feed, finished in the same type of buildings that supply 99% of the pork that is found in grocery store meat cases.

The processing is the difference.      But then I've never tasted pit gas in any pork either.   

I'm not sure how so many people that don't work in a hog building would know what pit gas (or hog manure for that matter) tastes like.

so, it sounds like the pork producer needs to talk to the major packing companies to see if they can make the "same pig" taste like it does when the local locker does.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)