AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Opened cover crop for grazing
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 10/11/2017 06:10 (#6300747)
Subject: Opened cover crop for grazing

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Someone below asked for pics of grazing my turnip/radish/winter rye cover crop. They were pretty well filled up with grass hay yesterday afternoon when I opened a small part of my cover crop strip pictured earlier. Rain started just as I finished taking up the old wire.

The cows rushed right in when I took up the wire, calves followed behind.  Cows dug right in, seeming to prefer the turnips over the radishes while calves seemed to look for the rye in the mix. Here are a couple pics.

My cows have had turnips before and almost galloped in.  My Fleckvieh bull followed the cows in with the calves cautiously giving the mix a try.  There is still grass hay in a feeder available to them all to balance out the turnips and radishes. I'm hoping the calves develop a taste for the turnips as they really put weight on.

Edited by Jim 10/11/2017 06:16

(IMG010 Opened up small section of turnip radish rye cover strip 101017.jpg)

(IMG013 Opened up small section of turnip radish rye cover strip 101017.jpg)

(IMG014 Opened up small section of turnip radish rye cover strip 101017 Fleck bull .jpg)

(IMG015 Opened up small section of turnip radish rye cover strip 101017 some calves trying it out.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG010 Opened up small section of turnip radish rye cover strip 101017.jpg (106KB - 95 downloads)
Attachments IMG013 Opened up small section of turnip radish rye cover strip 101017.jpg (114KB - 95 downloads)
Attachments IMG014 Opened up small section of turnip radish rye cover strip 101017 Fleck bull .jpg (64KB - 96 downloads)
Attachments IMG015 Opened up small section of turnip radish rye cover strip 101017 some calves trying it out.jpg (101KB - 99 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)