AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Garvo on your sick calves
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

jreiser
Posted 10/10/2017 07:07 (#6298791)
Subject: Garvo on your sick calves

nc Ne
First off to anyone thinking you cant put together a group of calves . A group of 14 calves is a lot for some cattle owners. And there is nothing wrong with putting together cattle . Yes it would be ideal to buy a couple pots from one ranch .
Years back I bought a couple hundred commingled calves from out west . Came in and I decided to follow vet rec's on vacc. My normal used to be tsv2 and 7way homophelis . Anyhow I used the 7way , one shot and cattlemaster I think in combo. (dont recall exactly without digging records back up) . Anyhow the calves started falling over dead next day into following weeks nothing would save them , I think out of 300 20 died if memory serves correct. Vet , state vet , vacc, rep all looked into it . In the end I was asked to try to replicate it and they would study my farm , I said no. (had a couple other words but kept them bitten under my tongue), I was offered free medicine for the next year also I declined . In the end "off the record " by vacc company it was determined that the 7 way made the combo too hot and with the weather it turned into a killing machine. For the record they could not say . I buried my loss and moved on. I use enforce pour and follow with a 7 way later now . Am not totally convinced of the shots . When you get all the shots in them none of the other drugs will save them is what I have found. One of the worst things I think is the guys that precondition the calves going up the chute to get in the trailer to the salebarn . I would just assume that they never had a shot in them at that point.

Edit to add , I just remembered the phrase that the man used , He said the combo you gave was just like sticking your dick in the dirt.

and one other time I had tried out a new medicine onset 5 , by intervet was blue. Still have a bottle in fridge for rememberance of how horrid it was. Used it on 100 of my own one fall and they started going blind the next day . Don't recall how many dozen or so it blinded It was yanked off of the market . As I said earlier I am not convinced of all the shots. I do like the enforce.

Edited by jreiser 10/10/2017 07:22
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)