AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New Pictures Manson Iowa
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

John Burns
Posted 7/31/2017 15:44 (#6159638 - in reply to #6159421)
Subject: RE: tillage

Pittsburg, Kansas

We have that problem here on corn. Beans will work later in the season. Corn is a bugger.

We have one field that we can't get tillage stuff through the gate and it is such that we can not widen the gate. But we have one planter that will fit through and our track combines will make it in. So we no till that farm. We did corn this spring. Very early should have been the perfect spring to do it. Was dry early on. Planted it, should have got a stand but the cut worms hammered it. Full protection on the seed but we failed to spray insecticide and by the time we realized the problem it had set in to raining and would not stop. Gave up on it and was going to replant. Rained. And rained. And rained. Mean time a significant portion of what the worms cut off did not get the growing point so it finally made it. Too late to replant anyway. Way behind but ended up with 2/3 of a stand and decided to leave it.

Now it is green as grass while the conventional planted that time is dented and drying down. I have not looked at it recently. kind of afraid to.

Just glad we did not have 100 times over the acreage of that field in no till.

We are just not good enough farmers to be successful with no till on corn. I have not found anyone else that is very successful, on a consistent basis, in this area either. I guess we are all just bad farmers in this area. We can't make no till corn work. Several have tried. A few almost went broke before they gave it up.

John

Edited by John Burns 7/31/2017 15:50
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)