AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

30, 60, & 90 day deviation from normal
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

notilltom
Posted 7/29/2017 14:39 (#6155914 - in reply to #6155848)
Subject: RE: 30, 60, & 90 day deviation from normal

Oswald No-Till Farm Cleghorn, IA
Excellent way to say a lot.

It would be nice to have similar temp maps to go with them.

Next issue is that we may have pollinated even though dry stress (which we have here in last year's top county for yield in both corn and soybeans) we have sustained it with sub soil moisture and roots growing down to it. The corn, post anthesis doesn't grow much for roots. Thus, I wonder how much more moisture this corn crop will find without timely rains to fill it....or lack thereof to kill it. We are green looking at drive by speed except for more heavily heat damaged or dryness spots.

I plan to scout every field by hybrid in the coming days trying to get an estimate of our yield relative to normal assuming a reasonably normal fill. From there I will keep adjusting my strategy.

I am not expecting a normal fill unless the rain restarts on a timely basis so how that impacts final yield is still unknown. I can't see how the crop "here" can finish "average" at 200+ 10 year aph. Last year was 110-120% of aph in corn and about 115% in soybeans.

So I again state the questions? How many acres are better/worse than last year and by how much? My gut says the "perfect or more better" group is not that big across the country and the combines will tell that story as grain finish seldom shows in estimates.

On soy, they are flowering. They are short but short beans can be quite good.....with rain.

Edited by notilltom 7/29/2017 14:46
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)