AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Letter: Do farmers ‘expect taxpayer’ compensation?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

WHYNOT
Posted 12/18/2016 13:09 (#5706713 - in reply to #5706446)
Subject: RE: Letter: Do farmers ‘expect taxpayer’ compensation?

Curt Keiser - 12/18/2016 11:18
I have farmed all my life and adjusted crop insurance claims in a 800 mile radius of where I live. Subsidized crop insurance is important and essential in every area as a safety net for the farmers to be able to take the risk of putting out 500-800 dollars an acre on corn and beans. The taxpayer subsidy provides cheap and plentiful food supply.

I respect and admire those in the agriculture community, but the problem with your logic is there are companies, both small and large, that have expenditures multiple times over what those in agriculture do and they don't have a government backstop. Nor do they enjoy some of the tax breaks and different rules that those in agriculture enjoy. They have to sell a product at profit or they simply don't exist.

I'm not advocating for the elimination of small farms, but at the price tag of 10.2 billion (CBO stat) to the taxpayer, are they really providing a cheap raw product? Granted that 10.2 billion would be spent elsewhere in the government, but as of now it is an expense towards a raw product that the taxpayer has to bear.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-04-11/farmers-get-bigge...

Edited by WHYNOT 12/18/2016 13:14
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)