AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A difference between now and the Eighties
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

barren
Posted 10/24/2016 05:52 (#5597171 - in reply to #5596811)
Subject: RE: A difference between now and the Eighties

Glasgow, Ky
Deere6 - 10/23/2016 21:02

"Number one reason for financial problems now that was common to the 80's? In fact, applies to most anytime you want to pick and to any size operation.

Big ego's. Impressing others can get very expensive."

And yet you argued for 2 days with me over comments I made about some land that sold in my county that brought 2k an acre more than most had been?
You think they bought it because "it penciled out" or because it was a "good investment" or "it made good business sense"? The price was paid because it was exactly what you just said EGO, nothing but a stick measuring contest. Some can afford to do that but the problem comes in when everyone starts thinking that those prices "are what they are if you want to buy it".

Deere6, sorry if I offended you, did not mean to. John pretty much explained my position on it.

Another very important business principle that gets a lot of people in trouble is emotions. They have no place in business decisions. I learned this the hard way. To make a long story short, when I was starting out farming in the 70's, I bought a new combine because I was PO'D at my old worn out combine. Later, I wound up having to sell a farm I loved dearly due to the financial bing the new combine put me in. You never forget lessons like that.

Life has a way of humbling us. For most people, the older we get the more we we realize how much we don't know. In my case you probably agree 100%!

My email is in my profile. Would really like to talk with you one on one by email. Not about this thread but would just like to get to know you better and hopefully let you know I am not as big an a$$hole as you think I am :-).

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)