AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A difference between now and the Eighties
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

John Burns
Posted 10/23/2016 22:00 (#5596971 - in reply to #5596811)
Subject: Sour grapes

Pittsburg, Kansas

That sounds a little harsh.

Ego that big? Yes, there are a few.

But just because someone pays 20% over what someone else thinks the value is does not automatically make it ego.

If a person has been a successful business person and has accumulated some wealth, that farm that sells next door may be the only time in the current or even next generation for it to be available to buy. Then people will make the erroneous assumption that everyone buys things "because they pencil out". Let's face it. If you have the money, they don't have to pencil out. And if you are my age and on the down hill run, the things that mattered twenty years ago don't seem so important now. Trust me, ROI is a hell of a lot less important when you have ten years left to live than it was when you had 40 years left to live.

I don't buy a motorcycle because of ego. It is not practical. It does not "pencil out". I just want it so I buy it. I buy it because I like to ride. Why can't a farmer buy a farm simply because he wants it and can afford it? Why does it have to be ego just because it was worth more to him than to you?

Sounds like sour grapes and envy to me.

John

Edited by John Burns 10/23/2016 22:03
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)