AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Depression?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

dairymanswife
Posted 9/6/2016 03:03 (#5511878 - in reply to #5510987)
Subject: RE: Depression?

Hi Kerri, I am so happy to see so many guys reaching out to you. The old stigma still hangs in there that you should tough it out. How quick did all these people reply to you after you posted for help. It just shows you that you are not alone. Now I will tell you what it is like being married to someone that needed help. It was fairly early in our marriage, the kids were young. I noticed my husband was unusually quite. Never seemed to smile anymore. If he was around other people he could put on a good face, but when he was home, it was back to darkness. For me, it was very confusing, I felt alone, even though we were married. He was going through the motions of getting the chores done, but family life was not there. I thought it was me, that he wasn't happy with me. It was getting to the point where it was hard to be in the same room with him as the silence was harder then if he would have been yelling. I felt I had to walk around on pins and needles. I couldn't understand how he could talk like normal to the feed salesman, but not want to talk to me. We had talked about going to the doctor, but back then, guys just didn't do that. I had a chance to get away for a few days with some lady friends and I knew I needed to get away. Dave finally decided to go see the doctor while I was gone. I was to the point of dreading to come home and then I got the phone call from him. I can't remember the exact words, but I could tell there was a change, he had gotten help. Now you can't fix everything in one office visit, but it will hopefully get you back on the right track. They had to find the right drugs, the right dose and that can change as the years go by too. Dave finds when we are in AZ, he doesn't need much at all. the one thing we did learn is how prevalent it is. The doctor said it is usually people in a higher power, those responsible for a farm. or a business. Where the responsibilities are on your shoulders. It meant that Dave was not alone. Now he is the first one to go and talk to someone that he feels is in trouble. I hope you seek help, farming sucks for so many right now and if you are dealing with depression, it makes it all the more hard to get through the day. Good luck to you, and keep us posted. You are brave for bringing this to light. I bet many more here are dealing with this and just wanting to ignore it. Good luck to you Kerri.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)