AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Water line 38 years later
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

cdcalaway
Posted 7/25/2016 01:10 (#5430857 - in reply to #5430777)
Subject: RE: Water line 38 years later

Columbia basin, Washington state
Ben D, N CA - 7/24/2016 21:05

I plowed out an alfalfa field last fall, and I could still pick out where we had played around with a deep ripper in one corner. The entire field was done at an angle about 10 years ago, but only 24" or so deep. You could still pick out those ripper marks as well, although very faint. The alfalfa grew noticeably better around the deep ripper passes than even the 24" stuff. Was interesting to me as it was the first time we'd ever tried to go deeper here. So much for the idea that alfalfa will penetrate and loosen tight ground.

Now I've also trenched in pipe on about every place I farm. Seems like those marks go away pretty rapidly after a few years of tillage. Maybe because it is a wider (burying 8-12" pipe) trench it will get compacted back as opposed to a ripper slot that stays fractured.

Most of my mainlines are 12", and I've had to locate them before. Pretty easy with a 3/8" steel rod, but trying to visually find where they are can be tough on ones that were only buried a few years ago.

Im here in the Columbia basin and on some fields you can see where the main line goes through the corner. Only place where the green weeds grow. The fields show no evidence at all, as they are ripped 12" plus most years.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)