AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Recent article on VW diesel emissions scandal
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Bern
Posted 7/21/2016 23:40 (#5424754 - in reply to #5423990)
Subject: RE: Recent article on VW diesel emissions scandal

Mount Vernon, WA
Something about this whole "scandal" does not pass the smell test. How can these cars be emitting "up to 40 times" the amount of allowed pollutants, and yet get 10% better mileage while doing it? I'd wager that this 40 times threshold was only under the most extreme and brief of circumstances during the testing process, in very hot weather to boot. I'd further wager that the amount of PM (particulate matter) that these cars were producing was even less than they would have been in "clean mode". You see, when you make a change in an engine system to clean up one pollutant, often times it has a negative effect on another.

The solution to that is simple, some say, "simply add DPF and SCR". That right there is even more fuel consumption. Further irony is that the EPA's next target is GHG emissions (greenhouse gas). I'd be even more willing to wager that these "dirty, nasty, VW diesels" have already met that standard. They'd have to if they're burning less fuel to go the same distance down the road.

In summary, ALL pollutants need to be factored in as a whole in my opinion. The EPA is concerned about one thing, and one thing only in this case, and that's NOx. They make it sound like 3000 kids in poor urban cities will die someday as a result of what VW did. What a huge lie. If I had one of these rigs, I would fight tooth and nail to keep it from being "updated". The only reason I'm mad at VW is because they didn't give the EPA the middle finger and make a better case to the motoring public about what they did and why.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)