AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

False community
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Buckeye chrome
Posted 7/17/2016 16:31 (#5416202)
Subject: False community

Central Ohio
I have been a long time reader of Ag talk and just recently joined. I love all of the great advice and opinions on this board and I wish a lot of you were my neighbors rather than some that I have. Which brings me to my topic that I am curious about. Your farm community. I have did not completely grow up on a farm, I didn't live on one until I was about 11 years old, since then I have learned a lot. Now that I am older I realize that I was oblivious to how the people in my community treat each other. When you drive up and down the road everybody waves at you with a smile. When you go to the elevator you can stand and talk for hours about crops, weather, news, or if you dare politics. However God made this earth in his vision and there is only so much land. I whitenessed a neighbor, that was married with no children, had a heart attach and died in his barn yard. Before this man even had a service there were multiple people at the widows door step to express their condolences and tell her that they would help her with the farm and not to worry about it. Now don't get me wrong we all would help her get the harvest in, however these few had allterior motives. As time went on one the men that stopped helped her out. Had her believe that she was into him for some custom farm work and that it was no problem he could just rent her acres from her and call it good. So that is what she did. This isn't the only thing that has me ticked off, if there is any farm land that goes for sale around here you have no friends when you go the the auction and if you win the bid you lost the ones you thought you had. Everyone is your buddy one day but would cut your throat in a heart beat to get ahead of you. And that's only if the big time investors don't show up to buy it for housing. Grandpa used to tell me that men would come over and ask if he had any interest in the next farm for sale (assuming it was close to grandpa), if grandpa did he would back off, and grandpa did the same. They did things for each other and never thought about it. Now if I borrow a rock picker (from a neighbor) I'll get a bill for the use. I don't bill people for use of my stuff because it's the "neighbor" thing to do. I could go on with stories but they do not involve me so it's not my business. I'm to nice I guess. I just feel like with everything against us farmers these days wether you farm 10 acres or 10,000 we should respect each other, and respect the farm community. If we don't then there is no problem putting houses up on nice 100 acre farms, those people seem to get along better than farmers in those developments.

So how is it around the country/world, is it cut throat where you are? Or should I just harden up and be like the rest of them.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)