AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Front mount row cultivator
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Gerald J.
Posted 7/1/2016 10:08 (#5385257 - in reply to #5384792)
Subject: RE: Front mount row cultivator

While cultivating with a RG4 (4 row wide that I converted to 6 row 30) on the rear of my tractor I wished for a front mount. I do have a manual on the AT family. Came in AT4 and AT6 for 36 to 40" rows, AT43, AT63, and AT83 for 30" rows. Specifically made for 2510, 3010, 3020, 4010, and 4020 with 7.60x 15 front tires. Then there were suffix R that were front mounted and lifted by linkage from the rear three point. Those with suffix F expected the tractor to have the optional front three point hitch. Kind of tractor specific so finding one may need also finding the tractor it was made for. I've not seen many tractors of that vintage with front three points.

It would probably be very practical to cut away most of the loader bucket and mount a rear mount cultivator that is more common using the loader for depth control and lifting at the row ends.

And with a sturdy front tractor frame it shouldn't be all that hard to fabricate a front three point hitch run off the remotes.

As far as getting weeds, cultivation worked if done in a timely manner. First pass within a few days of planting, preferable after using the rotary hoe 3 days after planting and again three more days later. The shovels set flat for the first pass. Second pass a couple weeks later with the shovels next to the row tilted to toss loose dirt into the row hilling the crop and burying the hopefully short seeds in the row. None of these passes worked well with wet soil and in about 10 years of cultivation, I found about 1 year out of 3 I couldn't hoe in time to do any good and then cultivation tended to be moving chunks of sod instead of loose dirt. Chunks of sod on top of beans didn't help the beans grow. By August beans needed walking with a pointy hand hoe. I replaced a garden hoe blade with a serrated sickle section for that precise work.

Gerald J.

Edited by Gerald J. 7/1/2016 10:14
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)