AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What to plant for cover on prevent ground?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 6/18/2016 12:41 (#5362303 - in reply to #5358857)
Subject: RE: What to plant for cover on prevent ground?

southern MN
No no, my comments were a bit insensitive for the timing..... I've not responded for a bit because I don't want to make myself the topic here.....

You have a rough time, I didn't mean to turn the topic.

Sorry for your problems there.

As I mentioned in a new thread somewhere on NAT last night, we are getting pounded with rain while other parts of the country are too dry. Just drove 20 miles this morning, 17 of those miles were several acre sized ponds in the what used to be fields, couple miles the hail shredded corn and mowed off beans, one farm place half the trees were uprooted or broken down. 3-4 inches of rain. Ugly stuff.

My farm, only had an inch and light gusts so I am very fortunate, only light flooding damage.

Around here on our rolling hills, the hill tops dry out sometime between April and June, and the bottoms are tiled so they too dry out at some point. The troubles we have is typically too much rain at a time in spring, so we don't take prevent plant that whole idea is kinda odd to us. In my entire lifetime there is only one year that some acres did not get planted on this wet farm, mid 90s was just rain every other day. Mind you I've had 1/2 of my farm under water, but it was already planted. Lost many many more bushels of crop to flooding than to drought on this place.....

However we seem to replant some parts of the farm 2-4 times a year, as it drowns out over and over...... That is typically our best ground, the rich bottom land, but it is prone to flash flooding and just needs to catch a break before mid June to get a crop out of it.

I realize other parts of the country conditions are different, if you are not used to heavy spring rains or have sandier soils you don't have the drainage set up and so forth to cope with a wet spring.

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)