AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hog finishing barn ideas?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

John e.c.MI
Posted 5/23/2016 20:53 (#5316861 - in reply to #5315867)
Subject: RE: Hog finishing barn ideas?

Croswell, Michigan
I have been out of the hog business since 03 so I am sure there are guys on here that are smarter about this then me. I think you are probably talking about a continuous flow situation rather than running the building all in all out. This will probably lead to a train wreck at some point. In addition you will have to heat that barn where you are located in the winter. I would think about a barn more in the 30x60 or 30x70 size, straw bedded pens that hold about 30 head. What ever midwest plan service says for slope, I would double that. Feeders at the high end of the pen near the alley so you can easily check them, waterers down near the low end. Have a 2-4" lip down for the last 8' of the pen and have it so you can swing the gates to lock the pigs in the upper part of the pen and clean the 8' gutter area with a skid steer. Doors at both ends of the building so you can push out manure. You will likely get some feed build up on the upper part of the pen but you can scrape every once in a while with the skid steer. The smaller pens will make easier sorting than the hoop, and pigs can be grouped by size better. How ever much space you think you need add at least one or two more pens, this will give you a little overflow room, a pen for tail enders, injured pigs etc. Bedding will decrease tail biting, reduce or eliminate the need for supplement heat and help satisfy the all natural crowd for your marketing. Go with curtains on both sides for ventilation. Not sure if you should have a ceiling in it or open to the peak, ask someone that knows more than me. Snow blowing in in the winter would be a concern. Have two bins with flex augers, feed a grower ration at one end and a finisher ration at the other end. Move the pigs down as they get bigger, market pigs will be closest to the chute.

Edited by John e.c.MI 5/23/2016 20:55
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)