AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I'm about as marketing basic as you get...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Tara Farms
Posted 3/16/2016 10:19 (#5179687 - in reply to #5179644)
Subject: RE: I'm about as marketing basic as you get...

Red River Valley
I take you HTA'd the May or July contract when you wrote your HTA the example of why you would roll using the current spread set up from Dec. to July is

currently Dec. 16 is trading at $3.85 per bushel and July 17 is at $4.00 which would give you a .15 carry to July If you HTA it in the July to day you will earn that .15 from your bins minus any interest you pay on the value of the sale from Dec to July.

but if you hedge it into the Dec.16 time frame today it is a high probability that the carry from Dec. to July is likely to build to around .26-.28 at some point in the marketing year before harvest giving you and additional .11 to .13 cents in carry by waiting to roll to the out months.

the market will pay for the unknown while production is at risk but once production is past the risk stage it then concentrates its efforts to paying somebody to carry the grain until it is needed and generally the market never needs grain in Dec. so it increase's the money in the out months until somebody is willing to store it until then.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)