AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farmed Through the 80's
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

emtbd1979
Posted 3/4/2016 10:52 (#5154690 - in reply to #5154488)
Subject: RE: Farmed Through the 80's

west central illinois
If anyone wants to learn about that time period,find guys in their late 50's to mid 60's. My father and uncle and a lot of their friends started farming in the early to mid 70's. Right out of high school. That age group was hit harder than the ones who started in the 80's as they have all told me they were caught in the up swing. Took more money to farm and then when the 80's hit they had a debt load larger than new farmers. It was timing for a lot of the guys that were sold out and nothing more.

Many have told me about banks doing inventory on their tools and equipment. Financial statements every few months. Borrowing money to pay interest. FHA, land bank games and the like. The stress load many were under is nothing to make light of and my mom has told me she never knew how bad it really was till years later. Dad carried the burden alone. Thy had hogs , cattle and dad and uncle worked pulling a tractor pulling sled all over the U.S. In the winter and summer. That is what got them through. I have heard the chain of events from them and their friends so many times but it still gives you a sick feeling.

They have told me several times that anyone who thinks this is the 80's now didn't live through it and come out the other side. But it could get that bad soon but it's nowhere near that yet.

Edited by emtbd1979 3/4/2016 10:53
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)