AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Stripper Head Stubble Snow Catch (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

LHaag
Posted 2/5/2016 20:19 (#5090979 - in reply to #5089936)
Subject: RE: Stripper Head Stubble Snow Catch (pics)

Colby, Kansas
James:

I agree your seeing one of the many benefits to stripped stubble. Certainly more water in the soil profile at planting increases the probabilities of hitting a given yield. I've been trying to collect snow catch data over the years when possible. I grabbed some help the day after the blizzard this week and we made it to Tribune to collect another set, don't have those numbers crunched yet, but I've attached our prior years results. For anyone who is interested. Just gut feel when collecting samples the other day, we really didn't get enough snow at Tribune to show big differences, coupled with relatively poor quality stubble after a poor wheat crop, I don't expect differences to be as pronounced as the three sites shown here.

As far as planting into stripped stubble, we've been at it since 2001, and the best thing you can do in my opinion (and any no-till in general here) is leave the row cleaners at home. Many times as was previously mentioned this stubble can be brittle at the crown, so you get one chance to hit it before it detaches. I'd rather use that one shot on my opening disks than wasting it on a row cleaner. We've failed to find commonality among varieties for detaching early, etc., the most common theme among those that have lots of issues with the stubble detaching have a history of high amounts of manure application (Scott County has been a tough area to keep stubble anchored). The increased N and biological activity seem to speed up that decay process at the crown.

Best,
Lucas

Edited by LHaag 2/5/2016 20:28

(IMG_20160203_164616808.jpg)

(IMG_20160203_164720276.jpg)

(Slide1.JPG)

(Slide2.jpg)

(Slide3.jpg)

(Slide4.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_20160203_164616808.jpg (129KB - 41 downloads)
Attachments IMG_20160203_164720276.jpg (295KB - 37 downloads)
Attachments Slide1.JPG (98KB - 38 downloads)
Attachments Slide2.jpg (154KB - 42 downloads)
Attachments Slide3.jpg (69KB - 40 downloads)
Attachments Slide4.jpg (68KB - 37 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)