AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Consumer $$$$ and energy...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

pknoeber
Posted 1/28/2016 12:20 (#5069893)
Subject: Consumer $$$$ and energy...

SW KS, near Dodge City
I haven't had a chance to look into this, but a very interesting study would be the conversion from fossil fuels (using 1234's numbers from below) to electric for most consumer vehicles. If they can realize those kinds of savings, wouldn't we be better off promoting selling crops through beef, than we are through ethanol?

If they can all save 50 bucks a month that they use to purchase a luxury good like beef, well, I haven't seen any studies done, but I bet that would do more for corn prices than an ethanol mandate move. Beef production is the least efficient in terms of converting feed to lbs of gain, but it is a high-end luxury product that consumers haven't seemed to really back off of at higher prices.

A big argument for ethanol is that there's lots of DDGs left over for feed.... So the net impact on the feed supply isn't really all that much everybody claims.

What if we do convert to electric and increase protein demand worldwide by 10%? I think we'd have created a much more sustainable long-term market by making the demand for our products a pull market demand rather than the push market demand that the ethanol mandate is.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)