AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

farming ground
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

ranchrider18
Posted 12/28/2015 11:29 (#4992437 - in reply to #4991060)
Subject: RE: farming ground

SE Minnesota
Blackcow,

As I thumb through the responses here from some of these guys, I just had this thought come to me. You have a grandpa that has accrued +/- 2000 acres of farmland in his lifetime, so what better a person to ask for wisdom than one who has farmed that dirt for probably about 80 years of his life, or your uncles who appear to have an operation already going in the area. 87 years old, you better listen to what the old man has to say, even if it seems backward from what you might've learned in "ag class"

You're not going to get the proper knowledge from corn growers in MN/ND Red River valley or Central Iowa or Texas plains that will have great advise, but not the type of advise that is going to help you pencil out a profit on a crop in your area. There is too much variation. Equipment is equipment, input costs are input costs and there is little variation nation wide, but the type of soil and the amount of influence that Mother Nature is going to have on it during a season can vary greatly from one county to another, let alone nation wide.

I am with the other resposes on here saying if you have a grandfather willing to help you get started, opportunities like this are pretty much once in a lifetime, so if you truly want it you better go balls-to-the-walls and show your grandpa that you're not just another one of the millions of people out there looking for a place to hide and play on an I-Phone and collect a paycheck.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)