AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dabbling in the cow/calf herd start-up
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

wildcat_farmer
Posted 11/28/2015 16:32 (#4924805)
Subject: Dabbling in the cow/calf herd start-up

SE Kansas
Let me get this started by a bit of a background about myself.

Im 24, got a solid job as a crop consultant with a very respected older agronomist so I am fully confident in the future of having a job. I have a small background in the cattle industry. Worked for a farmer/rancher through college and helped out on his herd. Mostly doing daily chores in the winter and running them through the chute. Also, I have good relationships with other farmer friends and the local vet that would lend me advice.

One of the farmers we consult for is looking to retire in the next 2-3 years. I haven't fully sat down and discussed with him but he has made notions or interests if i would like to take over his herd. Which i would be fully thrilled to do. I understand its not a huge money making venture and I'm not looking to strike it rich, I feel running a herd has always been a thought but never really took it serious until this opprotunity has shown up.

His herd is 8ish head now, black angus heifers on black angus bulls. His current method is to sell the cull cows and not replace them, as he's gotten older the smaller herd every year is easier for him to deal with. Pasture and range grass is safe, he owns majority of the acres. Right now, the avg age of the herd is 5-8 years old, good cows.

Whats all your thoughs on taking on this operation? Looking at the direction of the market is headed and future.

Would most likely go through the FSA and get a beginning farmer loan for the majority of it.

Would still need to finance a pickup/stock trailer, bale feeders & feed, and all the rest of the other equipment needed.d
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)