AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

remote control via ethernet.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

mdshannon
Posted 9/14/2015 14:40 (#4788720 - in reply to #4788452)
Subject: RE: remote control via ethernet.

The Thumb
Short answer yes, its very do-able, I have a couple relays setup as door opener's for our shed doors around so I can open them from our iPhones. I have them setup to only be accessible from the local network for security purposes but you could have them open to the internet, and I have had a project in the past which i used a non-invasive current sensor to sense when a motor was on or not and you could easily post that to a webpage.

Now how would you do all that is a little more complicated if you don't have any experience with Arduino or raspberry pi I don't know exactly how you would do it, if you do a search for internet controlled relay you would find a few things.
How I would do is is have an Arduino of some type hooked to a relay board, probably that I would make myself but you can buy some, and hook i to either a wifi board or a ethernet board depending on the location, and depending on how exactly I wanted it to work I would either have it update my web server like every minute and it could send the signal of weather there was current flowing where I have the sensor and the state of the relays, and in that check I could have the web server update the Arduino with the response on weather to turn on or off the relays. That would allow easy web access for the Arduino control but might be a little slow to turn on or off the relay. The other way would be the have the Arduino be a web server itself and when you send a certain request it will turn on or off the relay and tell you the status of the current sensor, thats how I have my shed door openers, but then to have them open to the internet you would have to do some port forwarding on your router, and you would need a dynamic dns service because you probably don't have a static ip. So a little more complicated and tougher to program the Arduino also , but the response would be immediate to turn on or off the relay.

So as you can see if you don't have any experience with hobby electronics it might be a little tough. But there might be some way to do it without any real programing or building your own electronics but I'm not really sure how.

Mike
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)