AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Crop costs
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

billw
Posted 9/3/2015 11:45 (#4768118 - in reply to #4768069)
Subject: RE: Crop costs

E. Kansas
HeyhayJCM - 9/3/2015 11:10

billw - 9/3/2015 11:03

Lots of stuff to spend money on to try to make some money (profit).

If you're figuring costs for land that you own, you can cross out the Cash Rent expense, but don't overlook the Property Tax costs. Whether or not you're figuring it in the COP, you're still going to be paying the taxes, and in some states the property tax cost per acre is so ridiculous that they exceed the majority of the various input costs.

Shouldn't you have to at least figure in a land charge equal to what you could rent it out to another farmer for??
If you don't aren't you fooling yourself on the thought that you are actually MAKING money??
What I am trying to say is that if you make 100.00 an acre without a land charge on owned land...but you could have rented it to some other cowboy for 200.00 an acre ....you actually lose 100.00 an acre from a business standpoint.
At least that's what my banker says and it makes sense to me.

Josh Moorefield
Moorefieldhayfarms.com

Certainly, you always have to be aware what you can make by leasing out your land vs farming it yourself. My point was to not overlook the property tax cost for your own land. It could be very easy, and feel very good, to mark off the expense of Cash Rent when figuring costs for your own land, and forget to account for property tax costs, no matter how/where you figure them in.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)